Thursday, September 23, 2010

It's All About The Process


I had a light bulb moment the other day! It's very exciting to me, although to some of you, it may be, "DUH!!!"

It's all about the process!!! This parenting thing...

It doesn't work too well when I'm trying to train a little one to go potty on the potty & I get upset because she hasn't got it down yet. I want to cross it off my to do list.

It doesn't work too well when I am sitting down to teach Gabriel phonics or math & I get upset because he's not doing it right.

It doesn't work real well when I'm busy typing a blog post & I get irritated because I'm being interrupted by the girls to check their narration projects.

I realized that I can apply the "reap what you sow" principle to training & teaching my children. Little by little, precept upon precept, I will teach Gabriel to "blend" two letters together. Then, someday in the future, he will be able to read words. Then, a little later, he will be able to read a book. I don't have to treat it like a "to do" list with a "get 'er done" attitude. I can enjoy the journey & leave the results of my diligent effort in the Lord's hands.

My "get 'er done" attitude is great for finishing chores, accomplishing a task, or organizing... But it doesn't work real well on the most important people in my life, my husband & children. I'm ashamed to admit that so much of the time, I've not taken those moments that God gave me to look at that bug or listen to a story... to look into their eyes & show them I care.

My prayer is that God will transform my heart & help me to be much more relaxed with my family, enjoying the moments that make up our journey. This process of parenting will be going on for many more years to come.

Lord, redeem the time. Thank you for convicting my heart.
Help me to enjoy the journey & trust You with the outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment